Portable Recorders - Portable disk & card recorders
SOUND DEVICES 688
12-Input Field Production Mixer with 16-Track Recorder
The 688 features six high-bandwidth mic/line inputs on XLR connectors, each complete with phantom power, high-pass filter, analogue input limiter and variable pan. Six additional line-level inputs on TA3 connectors offer flexibility for more complex productions.
All inputs are assignable, pre- or post-fade to its eight output buses, left/right plus Aux 1-6. The 688 can send its main left/right mix to three cameras simultaneously via transformer-balanced XLR and Hirose outputs.
The 688’s powerful digital processing engine delivers 12-channel auto-mixing capability. MixAssist automatically attenuates the level of inputs that are not active and helps maintain consistent background sound levels regardless of the number of open microphones. Comb filtering and phasing artefacts are also reduced when multiple mics pick up the same sound source by intelligently attenuating redundant mics.
The 688 offers 16-track, polyphonic or monophonic broadcast WAV file recording to SD and CompactFlash cards. All common sampling rates are supported, including 192 kHz on up to six tracks. The memory cards can be set independently, recording either identical material for real-time backup, or combinations of WAV and MP3 files.
The 688 incorporates exclusive PowerSafe circuitry with smart sensing of available power sources, front panel warning indication of power loss, and an integrated 10-second power reserve that will, in the event of an inadvertent power loss, allow the 688 to safely stop recording, properly end all file operations, and then automatically shut down.
The 688 features a world renowned Ambient timecode generator and reader supporting all common rates and modes. A helpful time code compare utility shows the difference between internal and external timecode. The 688 also generates sound reports and supports extensive metadata, via the front panel or attached USB keyboard.
For a virtually cable free bag, attach this optional power distribution and six channel wireless system. Its three slots provide powering and audio interconnection between the 688 and slot-in receivers plus fully integrated control and monitoring of SuperSlot compatible receivers. With its built-in RF signal distribution, the SL-6 reduces the need for multiple antenna while its NP1 battery slot, USB charging port, two 12 V isolated outputs, and two non-isolated direct battery outputs provide powering for peripheral devices. Read more about the SL-6. Read more about the SL-6.
This optional input controller attaches to the bottom of the 688 and adds six full-sized tactile fader control of channels 7-12, sunlight-viewable LED metering and big, back-lit record and stop controls. When the CL-6 is attached to a 688, the 688’s mini-faders, originally assigned as faders for 7-12, switch to trim controls.
• 12 analog inputs: Six mic/line preamps plus six line inputs all with front-panel faders & PFLs.
• 16-track recording to SD & CompactFlash cards; Timecode-stamped WAV & MP3 files
• MixAssist 12-input auto-mixer
• Optional Accessories: SL-6 power distribution & 6-ch SuperSlot wireless receiver system; CL-6 input controller with LED metering & transport controls.
• Both SL-6 and CL-6 can be conected to the 688 at the same time. SL-6 to top panel, CL-6 to bottom panel.
• Eight output buses: L/R mix plus Aux 1-6; transformer-balanced XLR & Hirose outs for freedom from ground loops Two AES42/AES3 inputs, eight AES3 outputs.
• Direct menu control of SuperSlot-compatible wireless (with SL-6).
• PowerSafe protects files from power loss.
• 2-second power on-to-recording.
• Flexible digital mixing and routing.
• Supports all sample rates up to 192kHz.
• Adjustable input & output delay.
• Three camera returns & dedicated COM return
• Internal & external slate mic inputs
• Ambient TC generator and reader and internal TC backup battery
• Easy to navigate interface, 1000-nit LCD visible in all light conditions, configurable metering
• USB Keyboard for metadata entry
• User-configurable headphone presets
• Light-weight, durable carbon-fibre chassis
• Powered by AA-battery (x5), external DC or NP1 via SL-6
selling price excluding VAT
RRP £5575.00 Ex VAT
Request a quote to receive our best price.
Request best price
Call: +44 (0)20 8962 5000
Or use our online
Add your chosen product(s) to your cart and submit to get a complete quote
If you can't find what you're looking for, and would like to add product(s) not available from the HHB Catalogue.Click Here