COMREX BRIC-Link II
A high-performance, low-cost, “nailed-up” IP audio codec
£1,340.00 Price excludes VAT
Product lists can be submitted to HHB for a packaged quotation
BRIC-Link II is a low-cost, high-performance solution for audio-to-IP conversion. Like its predecessor BRIC-Link, BRIC-Link II provides an elegant way of moving linear or compressed audio with very low delay. BRIC-Link II is simple to use, and can be deployed over a wide range of IP links. While it carries an entry level cost, BRIC-Link II maintains superb audio specifications and hardware reliability, making the system perfect for studio-to-transmitter links (STLs) and other mission-critical applications.
- Works on variety of data networks: T1/E1, ISM Band IP Radios, Satellite, WANs and LANs, public Internet connections
- Low delay – less than 25mS in linear modes, less than 30mS in FLAC modes
- Codecs – Stereo and mono linear mode, FLAC modes, AAC/HE-AAC modes, Opus, G.722 and G.711
- HTML5-based user interface
- CrossLock for secure and stable broadcasting
- Switchboard for easier connectivity (license sold separately)
- Small size – 2 BRIC-Link IIs occupy 1U of rack space
- Streaming server capabilities
- Contact closure cable sold separately
Transmission Modes and Delay
BRIC-Link II is a true codec, offering a full-duplex stereo encoder and decoder in each box. A jitter buffer manager is incorporated that automatically balances delay and stability, dynamically increasing and decreasing delay based on network performance. End to end coding delay in linear modes is less than 25mS and FLAC modes are less than 30mS.
For users concerned about delay and coding artifacts, BRIC-Link II offers a robust stereo or mono linear mode that does not compress audio. BRIC-Link II is also the only real-time audio codec to offer FLAC lossless compression. Additionally, BRIC-Link II offers AAC/HE-AAC modes as standard, along with Opus, and VoIP standards G.722 and G.711.
CrossLock is quite simply the most advanced network management tool on the market today. When used in “bonding” mode, CrossLock gives users the ability to manage and bond multiple data connections together simultaneously. When a new network is introduced, CrossLock will immediately evaluate how much bandwidth is available, while factoring in latency and jitter information, and combine the two connections to take advantage of all available bandwidth. In Redundant mode, all data will be sent over all networks. CrossLock can also monitor each data connection individually and, when necessary, apply appropriate error correction, recovery, or concealment techniques.
HotSwap allows users to back up studio-to-transmitter links (STL) or other dedicated links with a wireless modem.
HotSwap lets users select a network that will only be engaged if the primary network fails. The system will warn of this status with a contact closure, and automatically fallback to the primary once it’s restored. Fall-over to backup happens in a matter of seconds, and fallback is seamless.
For BRIC-Link II, only Comrex Connect Modems are supported. 4G LTE Comrex Connect Modems are available for purchase . When ordering, ask for the NX model of Connect Modem. Verizon, AT&T, and International versions are available.
HotSwap is included in firmware version 4.3, which is available now.
BRIC-Link II is controlled with an easy-to-use browser based interface. Using any HTML5-enabled browser, you can log-in from anywhere to manage settings, adjust controls, and monitor connections. The page displays connection status, extensive network diagnostics, and audio level meters for remote monitoring. From any location, users are able to configure profiles for various connections with point-and-click connection commands.
Codec Commander is a Microsoft Windows™ application you can use to control your audio codec. You can manage your connections, check statistics, view audio metering, adjust audio profiles or change system settings.
Streaming Server Mode
BRIC-Link II can function as a streaming server, delivering multiple streams to computer based media players that support HE-AAC – up to 40 streams over a T1 Internet connection at once. BRIC-Link II also offers the ability to act as a source feed for both SHOUTcast and Icecast servers – with a single BRIC-Link II, you can expand your radio presence to the Internet without the need for a dedicated PC.
Both BRIC-Link II and BRIC-Link are compatible with smartphone applications, including Linphone and Luci Live. Connect to your codec from your smartphone quickly and easily for easy drop-ins and spontaneous remotes.
They are also compatible with FieldTap. A free application for iOS and Android, FieldTap makes it simple to connect with the touch of a button. Plus, FieldTap is compatible with all other Comrex IP audio codecs.
Comrex Switchboard was created to make it easy to make connections between Comrex IP codecs. This is especially important when broadcasting over networks that have firewalls and routers and other IT snags. Switchboard allows your codec to sync with a cloud-based server, making it possible to connect without having to know the IP addresses on either end of the link.
Switchboard saves all the details of the codecs subscribed to the server. This means that when it’s time to connect, you don’t have to enter any information – you can simply choose the codec you want to connect to from a menu, and hit a button.
- Mount a single or two side-by-side BRIC-Link IIs in your 19″ rack.*BRIC-Link II Rack Kit includes: Rack shelf, customised front panel and mounting screws.
- Fleet Commander is a software application for controlling multiple Comrex IP audio codecs simultaneously. Rather than logging into each codec individually and juggling a desktop full of tabs, Fleet Commander puts you in control of your codec fleet through one unified interface. With the ability to manage all codecs from one simple window, this easy-to-use tool can save time and increase productivity for busy engineers.Fleet Commander contains all of the functionality of the Web-based Interface, but also comes with a few more features like active metering and the ability to copy peers and profiles between codecs. A Windows application, Fleet Commander can be used to manage every Comrex IP Audio codec in your fleet (depending on CPU and network limitations).
- The Comrex Connect Modem is designed to support the unique needs of remote broadcasters. A high-powered, industrial strength 4G/LTE modem outfitted with a high-gain antenna, the Connect Modem is more powerful than most USB data modems available on the market, to handle the heavy data load of a broadcast over IP.Please note: The Connect Modem can be utilized with BRIC-Link II only as a backup network when used in HotSwap mode. Connect Modems cannot be used as a primary network on BRIC-Link II units.
- Balanced stereo XLR line-level audio input (0dBu)
- Balanced stereo XLR line-level audio output (0dBu)
- AES3 XLR Digital audio input (through left XLR input when switched)
- AES3 XLR Digital audio output (through left XLR output when switched)
- Headphone jack
- Ethernet port (1000baseT)
- Contact closures (9-pin mini DIN) (contact closure cable sold separately)
- Serial port (8-pin mini DIN)
- Power (4 pin connector for external 24VDC supply)
- USB port*
- Card slot (for future use)
*When used with a USB to Ethernet adapter (recommendation: Linksys USB3GIGV1), allows for connection of a second network
- Balanced audio input level: 0 dBu
- Balanced audio output level: 0 dBu
- Full scale is 20 dB above nominal
- L& R tri color LEDs display audio level
Power and Physical:
- External supply (24VDC 20 Watts)
- Size (8.5” W x 6.25” D x 1.75” H; 21.59 cm W x 15.88 cm H x 4.45 cm H)
- Weight (2.16 lbs; 0.98 kg)