SONNET Echo | Desktop
1-slot Desktop Thunderbolt to PCIe Card Expansion System
Price excludes VAT
Product lists can be submitted to HHB for a packaged quotation
Connect One Full- or Half-length, Single- or Double-width PCIe Card to Computers with Thunderbolt 4 or Thunderbolt 3 Ports
For many creative pros relying on recent portable, mini desktop and all-in-one computers to get their jobs done, their computers’ onboard processing power alone is not enough. While these Mac®, Windows®, and Linux® computers include high-performance Thunderbolt™ ports to support peripherals, they lack PCIe expansion slots to install a specialty card that adds needed storage expansion, video or audio inputs, transcodes data, or connects to high-speed shared storage and networks. Sonnet has a solution — the Echo™ I Desktop. This professional Thunderbolt to PCIe card expansion system enables you to connect one up to full-length (12.28 inches long) single- or double-width PCIe card to your computer via a single cable.
The Thunderbolt Connection
Plugged into one of your computer’s Thunderbolt 4 or Thunderbolt 3 ports, the Echo I Desktop system enables you to connect one professional PCIe 4.0, 3.0, 2.0, or 1.1 PCIe card to add ports and capabilities your computer lacks.
Supports Every Type of Thunderbolt Compatible PCIe Card
Echo I Desktop supports every type of Thunderbolt compatible PCIe 4.0, 3.0, 2.0, and 1.1 card available including video capture and transcoding; audio DSP; 6Gb or 12Gb SAS or SATA host bus adapter; 10Gb or 25Gb Ethernet; SSD storage; and other specialty types to your system.
Do you have a card in mind but aren’t sure it’s compatible? We’ve put together a compatibility list that identifies cards conforming to Thunderbolt technology requirements, and organised by fit and power compatibility with specific expansion systems.
Space and Power to Spare
The Echo I Desktop features one x16 PCIe 3.0 slot, enabling it to support a huge variety of cards, whether single- or double-width, low-profile or full-height. To support power-hungry cards, it integrates a universal 400W power supply and includes a 150W 8-pin (6+2 pin) auxiliary power connector for cards that require extra power (including the Avid Pro Tools | HDX). The Echo I powers on and off automatically with the connected computer, saving energy in the long run. With no power switch, you can’t forget to turn off the system!
Dual Fans. Ultra-quiet Operation.
Featuring dual Noctua fans, the Echo I Desktop is designed to deliver ultra-quiet operation so that it can be comfortably used in noise-sensitive environments. Rated at 17.1dBA — below the 20dBA ceiling prescribed for use in recording and broadcast studios — the fans spread the spectrum of their noise to minimize the impact at any single frequency. To further ensure negligible noise levels, the fans are temperature-controlled, automatically speeding up and slowing down smoothly as needed, and the enclosure is engineered to optimise airflow over the installed card to cool the system effectively and efficiently.
40Gbps Thunderbolt Cable and ThunderLok 3 Included
Sonnet includes a Thunderbolt cable that supports Thunderbolt’s full 40Gbps bandwidth, and is fully compatible with Thunderbolt 4 and Thunderbolt 3 computers. Sonnet also provides a ThunderLok™ 3 Thunderbolt connector retainer clip that prevents accidental cable disconnections — just slide it over one end of the cable, and then plug in the connector and secure it to the chassis by turning a thumbscrew. Because of its unique design, ThunderLok remains on the cable so it won’t get lost when not in use.
Adds Connectivity & Capabilities
- Connects a high-performance non-GPU PCIe card via a Thunderbolt cable to your computer lacking expansion slots.
Broad PCIe Card Compatibility
- Every type of Thunderbolt compatible card supported.
One PCIe 3.0 Slot
- x16 slot supports one half- or full-height, single- or double-width up to full-length PCIe. card.
- Integrated 400W power supply with 150W auxiliary power. Saves energy by powering on/off automatically with the computer.
- Dual temperature-controlled, variable-speed Noctua fans rated at 17dBA automatically and quietly cool the cards.
40Gbps Thunderbolt System
- Offers full PCIe bandwidth for the installed card.
Thunderbolt 3 for Maximum Performance
- Provides four lanes of PCIe 3.0 bandwidth to the card slot.
Rugged Aluminium Housing
- Provides robust and secure protection.
Apple M series Compatible
- Supports M series Macs (with PCIe cards that have compatible drivers).
Intel Mac Compatible
- Supports Intel Macs with Thunderbolt 3 ports, and Thunderbolt 2 ports (with adapter and Thunderbolt 2 cable, both sold separately).
- Supports Windows computers with Thunderbolt 4 and Thunderbolt 3 ports.
- Supports Linux computers with Thunderbolt 4 and Thunderbolt 3 ports.