Avid Pro Tools 10: A major leap in sound and speed
Thursday 10th May 2012
Avid’s release of Pro Tools 10 and Pro Tools HDX has created a sea change in the technology used by audio post and music production professionals. And with the biggest UK firms already updating to Avid’s latest DAW software and hardware, standing still may mean getting left behind.
As one of the UK's leading resellers of Avid Pro Tools systems, HHB and Scrub offer consultation, sales, installation, training and after-sales support for Pro Tools. Whether you are involved in post production, music production, education, radio or TV, HHB has the expertise to help you make the best decisions when upgrading or improving your studio’s work flow with Pro Tools. Call us on +44 (0)20 8962 5000 to speak to a Pro Tools expert.
Many of the UK’s leading broadcasters and post production facilities have already chosen to work with HHB and Scrub in planning and implementing their new installations and upgrades to the new HDX hardware. Early adopters include ITV’s Manchester and London studios, The Farm Group, Unit Media, Castle Rock, Synxspeed, Up 4 Loud Productions, and Premier PR. These firms have noted the enhanced performance, improvements in sound quality and easier workflow collaboration of the new systems.
London's leading television and film post production company, The Farm Group, is already benefitting from the increased performance, speed and enhanced mixing capabilities of Pro Tools 10, which delivers up to 5x more DSP per card, over a thousand dB of additional headroom, and up to 4x the track counts and 2x the I/O than Pro Tools HD Accel. Scrub recently completed the installation of 12 HDX systems across three of The Farm’s Soho post houses. “Our daily workflow has benefitted greatly from the significant new features and speed of the new Pro Tools HDX systems. Our dubbing mixers have also been very happy with the sound and capabilities of the new Channel Strip plugin,” says Anthony Kirkland from The Farm.
Paul Hicks is a seasoned recording engineer who was part of the team that remastered the entire Beatles catalogue at Abbey Road Studios. He had this to say about the new HDX system: "I was initially impressed with the increased power and tracks per HDX card. I am also really enjoying the new 'Clip Gain' feature and the ability to work with stereo interleaved files in sessions is a great new addition."
With over 50 new features, Pro Tools 10 has introduced numerous time-saving improvements, optimised performance and higher sound quality. The following list was compiled from customer feedback by studios that have already upgraded.
10 Best New Features of Pro Tools 10:
1. Clip-Based Gain – Adjust the volume of individual audio tracks.
2. Audiosuite Handles – Audiosuite processing is applied beyond the clip boundary, so boundaries can be adjusted after the Audiosuite processing is carried out.
3. Multiple Audiosuite windows – Work with several Audiosuite plugins simultaneously.
4. Real-time fades – Adjust volume fades while you mix and edit.
5. Improved Disk Engine and Disk Cache system (support for NAS) – Use available Mac or PC RAM with a 64-bit address space to enable any drive as a valid audio playback and record volume.
6. Reveal file location – Right-click on a clip in the clip list, choose ‘Reveal in Finder/Explorer’, and the location of the corresponding file opens in Finder/Explorer.
7. Export selected tracks – Individual elements of a session can be selected and exported into a new session.
8. 16k Delay Compensation – Up to 4x more Automatic Delay Compensation than Pro Tools 9.
9. 64-bit floating point mixer – More than 1,000dB of additional headroom and much more dynamic range for plugin processing.
10. Channel-Strip plugin – A new Audiosuite plugin featuring the same EQ, Dynamics, Filter, and Gain effects algorithms found in the Euphonix System 5 console.
Download a free trial version of Pro Tools 10 here.. http://www.avid.com/Trial/ProTools/
What is AAX?
The new AAX (Avid Audio eXtension) plugin format enables better workflow and sound parity when sharing sessions between DSP-accelerated and native-based Pro Tools systems. Plugin developers like Sonnox, McDSP, and Brainworx already have AAX format plugins in development.
Find out more...
Will my Control Surface still work if I upgrade to Pro Tools HD 10 or 11
Yes. ProTools HD 10 still supports all current control surfaces incl. Avid Artist Series, System 5MC, ICON D-Control & D-Command, C|24 & Command|8.
Find out more...