Create custom configurations with the modular Avid S6 control surface
Tuesday 10th February 2015
HHB and Soho audio post specialists Scrub have installed over 40 Avid S6 control surface into the UK's leading broadcast, audio post and educational facilities. Contact HHB or Scrub to find out more about the world's most powerful Pro Tools mixing system.
The all new Avid S6 leverages the best of industry leading ICON and System 5 families in a revolutionary new modular design. From extensive visual feedback to an integrated touchscreen, S6 provides a truly immersive experience for the modern sound engineer.
The S6 system offers the option of choosing between one of 12 pre-configured M10 and M40 consoles, or custom configure an M40 with up to 64 faders, nine knobs per channel and 41 modules.
High precision editing and mixing control allow the user to quickly access and edit plug-ins, surround panning, and more with a multipoint touchscreen. This is in addition to enhanced visual feedback, including waveform scrolling.
Avid S6 is compatible with Logic Pro, Nuendo, and other EUCON-enabled DAWs, allowing users to mix projects on multiple workstations simultaneously and switch out sessions in seconds - all from a single control surface. When paired with Pro Tools it offers the advantage of faster workflows, extended visual feedback, and unique features to accelerate efficiency.
Custom configure an Avid S6 control surface online
The HHB Avid S6 Builder web app enables you to create a custom configuration of the an S6 online. Drag and drop functionality lets the user place modules in the arrangement of choice and build a bespoke console tailored to their workflow. Click here to create an Avid S6 online.
• Customise the surface with only the modules needed for great cost efficiency
• Scale the system from mid- to large-format to match workflow, with room to grow
• Mix faster and easier with intelligently designed controls, touchscreen, and intuitive layout
• Access and manipulate multiple aspects of a mix through the master touchscreen
• See a mix in a whole new way with detailed visual feedback and professional metering
• Get deep, integrated Pro Tools mixing control
• Extend control to Logic Pro, Nuendo, and other EUCON-enabled DAWs
• Experience highly responsive, precision control with high-speed EUCON connectivity
• Control up to eight audio workstations simultaneously - even from across the facility
• Configure, scale, and reconfigure the surface easily through the Ethernet network
|S6 Configurations Based on Master Module|
|S6 - M40||S6 - M10|
|Maximum Knobs Per Channel||9||5|
|Simultaneous EUCON workstations||8||2|
|TFT Meter Displays||Yes||No|
|Frame depth (# modules)||3 or 4||3|
Build your own surface
Because S6 can be scaled both horizontally and vertically using an array of surface modules, you can configure it with the modules you need now to fit your budget, with room to expand as your needs grow. Choose one of the pre-configured systems or build your own. Here’s a look at the various modules and other hardware you can choose.
Master Touch Module
The Master Touch Module (MTM) is the central hub of the S6 surface. All surfaces include this main engine, which provides touchscreen access and control. You have a choice between two - S6 M10 or the more powerful M40. The S6 Automation Module complements both, providing controls for transport, automation, and more. Here’s a closer look at these modules.
M40 vs. M10
The MTM engine you choose dictates the total number of modules you can include in your S6 and impacts its overall size and configuration options. Choose the high-performance M40 for large-scale productions that require maximum channels, high-resolution metering screens, or the more affordable M10 for productions that need to fit smaller rooms and budgets.
Both MTM modules feature a tilting 12.1-inch multipoint touchscreen, eight adjacent rotary encoders, and dedicated knobs and keys for monitoring and global control, enabling you to view, access, and edit different aspects of your mix- such as tracks, processing, and metering- without mousing through menus.
Master Automation Module
The Master Automation Module is included in all pre-configured systems, but is an optional add on when building your own S6 M40 control surface. It features a full transport control section (including a shuttle/jog wheel), focus fader, automation control, colour shortcut displays and switches, a numeric keypad, and more for writing automation and navigating projects.
Channel modules provide the control and feedback elements you need - from faders and knobs to processing and metering. All modules feature reliable, high-speed Ethernet connectivity for easy set-up. Whether a pre-configured surface meets your needs or you want to mix and match modules in your own custom creation, here are the modules you can choose:
• Eight motorized faders
• Dual tri-colour LED meters per channel (with gain reduction metering)
• Mute, solo, and other switches with color LEDs
• Control levels for eight simultaneous tracks
• 32 multicolour LED top-lit knobs (four per channel)
• 32 OLED displays for labels and visual feedback
• 11 function select switches per channel with color LEDs
• Works in conjunction with the Process Module
• Control up to 32 simultaneous encoder values; stack two Knob Modules (S6 M40-based surfaces only) to get up to nine knobs per channel
• Eight multicolor LED top-lit knobs (one per channel)
• 22 function select switches per channel with colour LEDs
• Eight OLED displays for labels and visual feedback
• Provides mode selectors for Knob Modules to control up to nine simultaneous encoder values
• 8-channel high-resolution TFT display
• Integrated single board computer
• Available only with S6 M40 configurations
• Provides deep visual feedback, including channel names, audio meters, routing, groups, DAW affiliation, scrolling Pro Tools waveforms, and more
Frame components—For desk mixing or freestanding
All modules need to be housed in a frame, whether you place the S6 on a studio desk or give it a leg assembly to stand on. Depending on the number of modules you choose, your surface can range from mid- to large-format. There are a number of frame assembly items available, from a full leg assembly to a freestanding surface, with different size frame buckets and blank panels.
Surface options—Ergonomic extras to personalize your desk
Blank Panel - Cover empty module spaces with a smooth surface
Display VESA Arm - Mount your DAW monitor on the surface with an adjustable arm
Producer’s Desk - Integrate a keyboard and DAW display directly into your control surface
Sliding Keyboard Tray - Get hands on with your computer keyboard wherever you’re sitting
Sliding Script Tray - Hold pen, paper, and your personal devices within easy reach
Speaker Bridge Mount - Place speakers in an optimal position with the S6 frame
S6 works with the following EUCON-enabled applications (preliminary info, subject to change):
• Avid Pro Tools HD 11
• Avid Pro Tools HD 9/10
• Avid Media Composer® 5.5 and higher
• Avid NewsCutter® 9.5 and higher
• Avid Studio Monitor Pro and Express
• Avid XMON™
• Adobe Audition
• Apogee Maestro 1.9
• Apple Final Cut Pro 7
• Apple Logic Pro 9 and Express 9 and higher
• Apple SoundTrack Pro 3
• Cakewalk Sonar X1 Producer
• MAGIX Sequoia 11 or higher
• Merging Pyramix 8
• Metric Halo MIO Console
• MOTU Digital Performer 7
• Steinberg Cubase 6.5
• Steinberg Nuendo 5.5
Click here to view a full list of S6 pre-configured surfaces.
Click here for an overview of S6 furniture from AKA Designs.
Why not finance your S6 with HHB? Click the Download Attachment button below for more information.